Sunday, October 21, 2007

Don't hate me because I'm introspective.

I've been thinking a lot lately about action versus our words.

Words have matter--is that right RB? Sounds can cause things to change shape. Sounds carry on forever.

How much more does action affect the world around us?
I believe the time for talking is over. It's time for action and movement.

This isn't a new concept (how many times have I said that over the course of this blog? Not enough times to think I'm unoriginal...apparently) but it's a NOW concept.

When do we get inspired the most? When we talk about things we want to do or when someone else starts to do the things we want to do? Sure it might be a bad motivator but jealousy can come in handy when we're talking about being jealous for our own dreams and purposes to come true.

So this is my personal challenge: to do.
It's funny because that's my heritage in a way. Check this out:

This is from the Winking Circle--a group I belonged to in highschool til today! We were all about getting off the couch and doing something. Anything. (Usually arts-related... )
Anyway. It's time for me, at least, to do what I was made to do.

What about you? What were you made to do?

3 comments:

Annie said...

You're so right... jealousy is a huge motivator. I think it's probably my number 1. Ugh. I want to be able to express myself artistically and otherwise without doing it only because I liked the cool way someone else did and try and mimic it in order to try and be just as cool.

And wow, everyone in that video looks so young! I like that you've been a part of a group like that for so long.

Almost makes me.... jealous enough to start my own? ... ahhh just kidding.

Anonymous said...

oh yeah, baby. that's what i'm talking about. we have to LIVE our dreams, not just dream them (although dreaming helps, for sure)!

i think a certain type of jealousy is a great motivator, as long as we move PAST the jealousy and allow it to get our butt in gear. i believe we often mistake jealousy for a feeling of "they're doing something i could never do, or being something i could never be", when really, the jealousy is usually a result of our real, inner selves telling us, "YOU SHOULD BE DOING SOMETHING SIMILAR TO THAT, BECAUSE THAT'S WHO YOU ARE!!!" actually, i don't even know if the word "jealousy" is QUITE the word we're looking for... but i can't think of a better one.

i've never been jealous of a surgeon or an amazing athlete or a math professor. but i HAVE been jealous of other musicians, artists, writers, and actors... and the best "jealousy" of ALL is when i'm jealous of people who are really living for God... and people who are really truly kind and generous.

let's get our butts in gear and GO FOR IT! life is so short. i believe we should go after the true desires of our heart with wild, childlike abandon!!! if there's something you do and it brings you sheer joy, it's the right thing to do. if you're doing it out of competition, it will make you feel like crap.

annnnnd that's my sermon for the day!

Annie said...

I like it! Thanks Bek!