Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Thanksgiving is supposed to be my favourite holiday...

Kinda tired.
Melancholic to be precise. I would have made an excellent protagonist for a novel by one of the Brontes. Does that make me more suited to marry a Heathcliffe type or less suited? I'd prefer more suited, but I think that's a recipe for romantic disaster.

Mmmmmm.....romantic disasters:
1 male
1 female
2 equal parts melancholic tendancies
2 parts drama
4 parts romance and passion
equal parts creativity and lack of discipline
a lot of good looks (optional)
and a pinch of legalism

Fold in each ingredient until well combined. Allow to stew for a few months. Then bake under intense pressure for a month or two until explosive.
Serves 2

Anyway--Thanksigivng was last weekend for all you Americanos out there. For the rest of us Canadites we will spend the rest of the week eating up leftovers of turkey, stuffing, gravy, pie and soups. It's almost the best part.

Sadly I didn't have the best Thanksgiving--which IS sad because most of you know it's my favourite holiday. The night I arrived in Port I was struck down with a flare-up of....whatever it is I have. I suppose 'crohn's' is the technical term but I maintain I've be misdiagnosed.

My mum and I debated spending the weekend in port while almost everyone else was in Perry Sound, but ended up heading North after lunch (with percocets in hand thanks to an uniterested doctor at emerg).
I love rainy weather too but didn't this weekend. Can you believe I actually packed my tanning oil? High hopes. High hopes.

Anywho! All this to say Thanksgiving is amazing but not when one's sick.

The night we returned from Perry Sound I made another 3am trip to emerg where I was treated to 4 failed IV attempts (it's like someone taking a thick, hallow needle and puncturing your skin here and there....wait....that's what it actually is) and eventually morphine, which, I confess is half the fun.

So now I'm home, behind on everything, anticipating on letting a lot of people down over the next weeks to months and wondering about the future...
I don't like big public announcements about my up and down health but it looks like it's the long haul, so I thought I'd put it out there. Kind of a preemptive notice.

At this time I am accepting any sympathy and attempts to 'lift' my spirits.

Oh but I also publically maintain that I am celebrating my future! It's going to be amazing.

6 comments:

Annie said...

Oh BD. Crappy... painful... BD. I hope the Percs are treating you well and making you feel at least mildly euphoric... sounds like you could use it.
If you're feeling up to it, it sounds like you could use some company sometime. We could watch something or just sit around... I won't expect you to entertain me.
Let me know how things are going.
PS - Honestly, I don't know how you did it, but the shirt you made fits me PERFECTLY. Like, I LOVE it.

Anonymous said...

your future IS going to be amazing!!!

and the rest i will say (or have said) in person. like a camel, claire... just like a camel. YOU CAN DO IT because nothing is impossible!!!

oh right, the thing about saying the rest in person! i'm leaving!

Claire said...

gaH! Didn't make it---I bought that shirt in the Philippines! Now THEY make good clothes for slim people.

Annie said...

whoaaaaa. you didn't make it? that changes EVERYTHING!!!
haha. just kidding. okay... i don't know how you picked out such a well-fitting top.....

Anonymous said...

ooo, annie, i know the top you got, and it's PERFECT for you! i'm excited to know that it fits! isn't it cool?

claire, you TOTALLY should have pretended you made it...

Claire said...

I can't pretend I'm that good at sewing. Can Picaso pretend he's Da Vinci? No. Mainly because he's dead--but more because he just wasn't as good at Da Vinci.
It would be an affront to all seamstressed worldwide had I lied.