Sunday, September 09, 2007

Goodbye Summer. You were a hot lover.

This is my farewell salut to summer---blueberries in hand.

I want to be napping right now, but I'm not. Naps on Sunday are mandatory for all childless people, as far as I'm concerned.

I don't really have much to say--I just felt obligated to write.
At the moment I'm suffering from eating-too-much pains---consisting of Jalapeno Doritos, pizza and iced tea. Needless to say I feel pretty hot.

An opportunity to go to South Africa has come up. Through my traveling-buddy Ames I've been offered to apply for a position as a medical person (whoa...) on a month long mission trip to work with AIDS orphans and vulnerables. Sounds pretty good. That, however, would mean I couldn't go on my trip to South America over Christmas.
Sigh.
Well, TECHNICALLY I could go to both, but that's just asking for trouble.

Right now it's raining outside mixed with bursts of semi-tempid air. I'm reluctant to see summer go. I only got a month of it, remember. Gerrit told me winter was coming no matter what so I'd better deal with it. His words struck my core like a snowball hitting a frozen flag-pole. Yup. That's my analogy.
He's right of course. But there's nothing more satisfying than running out the door in flipflops and a sundress. There's no need for coats, and boots, and gloves in summer. No extra bulk. Just...freedom.
This post sucks.
I'm going to have a nap and hopefully the Lord will impart something radical that I can add to this post later.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your post! Running out the door in a sundress and flip flops or in my case capris and birks is so freeing! As a mom I especially love not having to bundle multiple kids up and then finally, when i've broken out in a complete sweat, I can head out to car to wrestle with snosuits and carseats...really the fun never ends. Winter sucks. But THANK GOD it is NOT here yet and we have glorious fall around the corner! AMEN

Annie said...

dang... i have been looking forward to fall like you wouldn't believe, until i read this post and realized how right you are about the freedom of leaving the house in flipflops.
i always forget why winter sucks until it happens.
although...... sleep is nice and sleep in the summer is not possible with the trapped hot and humid air in apartments that lack air conditioning.
we should hang out and do fall stuff.... wanna bake fall food with me? i can't think of any at the moment. maybe muffins. pumpkin muffins.

Anonymous said...

baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaare feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet...

Claire said...

friggin eh, my cupcakes. Friggin eh.