Saturday, April 21, 2007

Effing Effingham

My brother-in-law told me about a magical little place called Effingham. He said it was a little hamlet nestled in the escaprment with a stream going through it; he said it was just like Wales.
Well, I had to find out for myself...so...
Effingham isn't actually ON a map. Technically, it doesn't exist. And with a name like that, who can blame them? Effing Effingham. That will never get old.
So here it is--Southern Ontario--more specifically, the Niagara Region. You'll find Effingham nestled below St. Catharine's and above Thorold.

As I was approaching Effingham, I stopped at a bakery to ask, 'Where exactly IS Effingham?', to which everyone replied 'There is no such place.'
Ah.
How do you explain THIS then?!?!

Exactly.
THEN the adventure began. Huge dipping roads, twisty corners on gravel and a wide, but shallow river, the Twelve Mile River, running beside you.

Of course, I had to stop and take self-portraits!

Oh, wasn't today beautiful? The spring wild-flowers were in bloom, birds were singing, the river was gurgling away, like the sound of my stomach when I had the flu. It was melodic.

And last but not least--a poem. Written by a man named Brown. I'm not sure of his first name. Wikipedia just said 'Brown' like I was supposed to know who that was. Anyway--here it is--and this sums it up.

"Effingham"

Low nestled in the Pelham Hills
Where angrily the Twelve Mile spills,
Her crystal flood o'er earth confine
Then rushes on as if on time:
And not unlike the sportive steed
It races down through vale and mead
Impatient in its onward flow
To swell Ontario's tide below.

Here let me rest, 'neath maple shade
Of charming bowers of nature made,
And whether I gaze on vine-clad hill
Or two-fold pond and rustic mill
In all around I find a scene
For artist's brush and poet's theme.
No crowded walk or busy street

But you stop and talk to whom you meet
On grass finged path up to the store,
Or to the church with welcome door-
A spot where simple joys abound
And peace and plenty abound

Where life is real and not a sham,
Believe me, this is Effingham.

1 comment:

Annie said...

It looks and sounds effing perfect! But kind of far away :(