Monday, December 03, 2007

Love, actually is,

This is an old post I never posted--for some reason. It was from my time in the Philippines over the summer. Perhaps it was too sappy at the time. Perhaps I was too vulnerable and emotional at the time. Either way, here's one of my favourite unposted moments:

That's my little girl...
There is something so right. So contented. So...wonderful about that sentence. 'That's my little girl.'
I knew this was a baby I didn't need to pray a parents' blessing over. I knew that her parents weren't likely to pray over her like I would have, say the same words, etc., but I knew in my heart that this one was going to be ok.
This one would be loved, and cherished, most likely spoiled with candy and lose all baby teeth to subsequent rotting. But I noted a complete lack of urgency in myself to pray over her--like I had with most other babies. I felt in my heart that I could and should step back and let her parents do their job.
'That's my little girl' he told me like I didn't know. Only, it was more said to himself than to me.
That's another one of the most beautiful moments of my life.
Another moment was after the birth of a baby to a happy couple. The wife lay exhausted, happy, but exhausted on our archaic delivery table, complete with stirups, cleaned up, heavily padded, and ready to rest with her prize. She had lost a lot of blood, so we debated about how to move her from the table to her bed in the other room. But quick to her rescue, like a knight on a valiant steed (Donkey?!?), her husband swooped her up into his arms and carried her to her bed to recover as tenderly and excitedly as he might have carried her to their wedding bed. There they strained their backs to huddle over their new baby, cooing and giggling to eachother.
Love is everywhere.

2 comments:

Annie said...

i love it.

Anonymous said...

That's my little girl!

Love you,
Mum xxxxxx