Friday, August 24, 2007

The long days of summer are fading...

Oh--that's a sad title. I'm sorry.

Yesterday a bunch of us moved my sister Catherine and her family to Niagara On The Lake--a posh little village nestled in the heart of wine country. It's a dramatic change from East Hamilton (come on guys--admit it. You were essentially living in East Hamilton).

As the story goes--my brother-in-law Chris was at the new place in Nottle painting the rooms when a neighbour came by to 'get the painter's business card'. She needed her place painted too and assumed Chris was the painter. Sigh. This is what it's come to.
(saying goodbye to the hardwood floors in the Hamilton house...)

Hell must have indeed frozen over after Chris and the family moved THEMSELVES into their new home yesterday. I can just imagine the outcry the rose from the village.

But the place looks great--we're happy for them. Just sad they're almost an hour away now. Despite our best intentions I know we won't be able to visit as often as we'd like. Thus is life. Unpredictable and often upsetting.

The night before moving I attended a film festival in Toronto. No, not THE film festival, but the Bicycle Film Festival. I...just keep making myself weirder and weirder. I am aware.
But this festival was hosted by my old cohort of friends The Winking Circle. IN FACT, I'm actually IN one of the film fest movies---so how could I not make an appearance? I couldn't disappoint my fans. Clearly.
This is Ruthi and I at the festival:

I successfully ran into two sort-of-exes during my short stay in Toronto. I was batting 100 when I thought I saw a third, subsequently had to grab onto Ruthi for physical support, then, as the blood did not completely drain from my head to my vital organs (such as my breaking heart) I realized, it wasn't who I thought it was.

To me, Toronto is this...frightening city of ghosts. I don't like it one bit. Around every corner, on every street-car, over my shoulder riding by on a bike named Sarah, at every turn I am this close to facing my personal torture: broken relationships that I wish weren't. Weren't broken, that is.

Unrequited love, romantic and platonic, isn't the melodramatic prose I was hoping for.

3 comments:

Beth B said...

Glad you do not live in Toronto, you would not be happy I can tell you. I love you and thank you for another lovely update.

Annie said...

Again, you look fantastic. (Again meaning I already commented on this on Facebook)

Gillian said...

AWESOME ! You look FAB. Very nice work, Claire. It makes me want to dress up and have fake conversations in the mirror. (oh, come ON, we all know that everyone does that).