Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Mickey Mouse boob hats and disecting purpose from chance.

(Sorry no spell check today...won't work. A thousand pardons.)

Today was an ordinary day.

I drove home from Port after visiting with my Mum, who's just returned from the Philippines, avoided traffic at all costs, sped, bought Timmy's--the usual.
When I got home I unpacked from my long weekend in Perry Sound.
Checked my email. Returned a couple. Deleted more.
Had a dental appointment at 2pm. The hygienist I had was probably the worst I've ever had.

She was chatty.
Can someone please explain to me HOW I'm supposed to talk when I'm being 'hygiened'?

Anyway. It was almost laughable how this woman was able to pin-point and address every single f-ing sensitive area in my mouth and life.
So, are you on vacation?
No. I'm not working right now.
Oh........
Oh, you sure are crowded in front, eh? Does it bother you?
No. (Does it bother you?)
Have you concidered seeing an orthodontist? (jab, jab into my gums)
No.
.......
Well, if you do need that root canal then your insurance won't cover it. You're on disability?
Yes.
Oh...back problems?
No......I have Crohn's disease.
Oh really? Wow. Are you on medication for that? (Gags me with that sucky air-tube thing)
No.
No? Why not? You manage flare-ups yourself? (Scratch, scratch of metal against plaqued teeth)
Yes. I don't like medications.
No? They have a lot of bad side-effects?
(Nod. Refusing to speak.)
Well, we're all finished up. You're sure you don't want me to book an appointment with an orthondontist for you?
Yes. (But if it makes you feel less queasy I'll stop baring my horrid teeth to you.)

And WHILE this is all happening, Chesty McGee, is mashing her boobs into my head while she probed my mouth. It was like I was wearing a Mickey mouse hat from Disney World. I'm not against breasts, per se, I just have an issue when strangers' nipples are millimeters away from my nose and mouth. Call me crazy. I was just waiting for her to say something like 'So, do you have a boyfriend?' or even better 'Have you considered joining the gym around the corner? I noticed you're fat.'

Then it was raining. Traffic was bad.

Seeking purpose in license plates is loosing it's charm.

Rejoining society has proven much more difficult than anticipated. It's nice to have my Mum home so at least I have someone who can and wants to talk endlessly about the Philippines and babies. I feel like I have this volcano of experiences, and relationships, and thoughts, and prayers and questions that's just simmering away. Soon it will turn into volcanic rock and that will be that.

All those experiences, relationships, thoughts, prayers and questions petrified by time and pressure.

7 comments:

ruthi said...

ah, i'm in the library (where i usually read your blog). and my eyes are a little teary -- from laughter and a little sadness. just thinking of all "those experiences, relationships, thoughts, prayers and questions petrified by time and pressure" --- i hate that that happens. it always does... what once is fresh and passionate and 'simmering' - evaporates aways or calcifies... i'm glad your mom is home safe and sound - and that she's a safe place to share stories.

write a book claire. slowly but surely. before it turns to stone... it'll be much harder to chip at it later. and i think you've got a lot to say and a great way of saying what needs to be said. i'm serious.

i got a push-up bra. free. let me just say... in the wrods of shania twain "oh man, i feel like a woman"

p.s. i hate dental hygenists. not as people, i'm sure they are very wonderful. but as people who are paid to cause me pain. i can't stand them.

Annie said...

Dental hygienists certainly have a way, don't they? I had a good one once but that's only because she wasn't a bitch.

Anonymous said...

I agree with ruthi. write it down...talk with your Mom lots and write. and remember that even though we didn't experience it with you we LOVE hearing ALL about it. seriously. ry and i need to live vicariously through SOMEONE, why not you for now?! you could make it a "thing". each evening you could come up and share a poem, short story, photographs etc. and let us in on your experiences. we'd be SO into that.
i know it's not the same as someone who was there with you, but what the hell, right?
yeah, i think hygenists use the time when they've got someone captive and vulnerable to sorta vent all of their own insecurities, sort of spewing them out on the unsuspecting victim. Maybe next time you can clamp down firmly on her hand with those overcrowded teeth of yours....
love you!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, reentry sucks. I hate it. I usually find I get mad at people because they can't quite understand it, as much as they want to. Not their fault - they weren't there - but it still sucks. It's always great when you run into people who have been there, so you can talk about people and places without explaining (or throw in words of the local language that you've kind of adopted into English without people looking at you like you have 2 heads).

It's still good, though, to share it with friends who care about you, even if they weren't there. I probably drive people crazy when I get back from things like this, because it's all I talk about. But hey, they're my friends, and that's what they're there for! And it helps keep things alive a little bit for you, though you're right, it's amazing how quickly things fade into the background. It'll always be a part of you, though, and you'll always carry it with you, and it'll sneak up on you at the weirdest times.

Beth B said...

you have a way of making the most mundane event into a story, I love it.

Linden said...

welcome back! I can't wait to hear about the Death Party. My mom tells me that you are planning on going to south america after christmas...is is possible i am planning the same thing?!! maybe we should talk....
xoxo

Anonymous said...

time and pressure is how you make gems.


kells.