Sunday, July 29, 2007

The awkwardness of home...I'm never satsified.

Well I've been home for a few days now and getting back into the 'groove' is proving to be increasingly difficult.
I hate this period of adjustment. The ease between friends is missing; any sort of routine is gone; there's this heavy feeling of impending reunions at every turn--which, let me clarify, isn't a bad thing, I just feel a little anxious when I'm seeing friends again for the first time.

Take this morning for example--I have tried a few angles trying to get my roommate to stay home from church with me. Alas, she's not a pagan like me...or at least, like I wish to be this morning. But then I wonder--do pagans have places to go on Sundays? Anti-church services? Maybe they feel the same way--trying to convince their friends "Hey, come on, stay home from anti-church. We'll be Godly together! HAhHahahahaha..."

Fortunately, but mysteriously, I never suffer from reverse culture-shock--so that's a blessing. In fact I ease back into driving my car, eating out and shopping a little too smoothly. Heck--when is spending money NOT done smoothly?

Well--I guess I should go. I'm just putting off the inevitable...church.

Here's some visual stim. for you all--I know it's been a while since I tried being creative. This is my Dad and sister while I visited them in Port this week:


Oh--and in honour and rembrance of the guy who has never and "will never" read this blog, yet who is mentioned quite a bit lately; the same guy who did NOT say goodbye to me when I left Malawi and the guy who I kinda miss...(don't get any ideas everyone)...this is James in all his Glory:

4 comments:

ruthi said...

so, i don't know why i don't just write you an email. or call you for that matter. but i still check this. and i was trying to tell people stories from your blog. and i was telling them about your blog. and bragging about it. and i was telling willy and them 'you just have to read it'

because its just so good.

i want to see you. in all the ackwardness (sp?!). and glory.

what does this week look like for you?

Annie said...

Oh Claire, I have missed having you around. I know what you mean about the awkwardness, but that is just life, isn't it? Life isn't without its awkwardness. Unfortunately. See? This has turned out to be quite the awkward comment.

I will see you soon!

Beth B said...

I miss you and love you Clarice.

Anonymous said...

ya big liar! i'm the one who didn't want to go! if you'd actually TOLD me that, we wouldn't have had to! it was so awkward! you complained about me NOT going such that i felt i needed to go to please YOU! talk about awkward. me yelling at you in front of everyone...

you know i love you. i'm sorry that this is a hard transition. gill told me they actually have "re-entry" things (for lack of the actual word) with YWAM because it's so common for anyone who has done missions (or travelled at all, for that matter) to have a SUPER hard time coming home. i know i've said it a billion times, but... at least there's the small comfort in knowing that what you're feeling is completely natural and understandable! i can imagine how hard it is... i'm having a hard time transitioning from a few days at the cottage, for crying out loud!

so now you're home and every time i comment i have to make some sort of weird apology for writing when it's pretty much pointless with you in the next room. that was it... indirectly.