Thursday, July 12, 2007

Bloody diarrhea is kinda fun....touche....

Favourite moments since arriving here in Nam_wera to stay with Naomi and Tim Cowl*ey:

On the way to Nam_wera, Gabe, the Cowl*ey's 5 1/2 son, took a rare pause in his soliloquy to turn to me and say in a cheery, but reflective tone "When I'm awake I don't stop talking."

This is Gabe here with his friend...who's name I can't pronounce.

James and I are both suffering from different forms illness; James, a bad cold with a fever, and me, nausea and LBM for four days. Today we paused for a breather in the market while Tim was buying his fresh, unpasteurized milk. I commented to James that the only thing that could make this trip better was if I got cholera. "That'd really round the trip off nicely," I said.
"I want bloody diarrhea." James said quite matter-of-factly. When I looked at him questioningly he replied "so I can try out the bloody diarrhea medication my doctor gave me." We nodded in agreement that, yes, bloody diarrhea would be awesome to have.

When we stopped at some one's home to check out a propane powered refrigerator, Tim needed a 'torch' to see the back of the fridge, so the mother ran off to get us a 'torch'. As she ran by the Cowl*ey's oldest daughter, Mika said in her bright, uber intelligent and therefore sometimes intimidating tone "Hm. I've never seen a woman run here."
To which I replied "Oh yeah. Me neither."
Mika looked away from the woman running, cocked her head to the side and said with bright eyes and a big smile "Well, that's because you've only been here 2 days."

Ah. Touche. Shut down by a 9 year old.

But on a serious note, if you could all pray for me--my tummy is upset a lot. Not eating is the only thing that seems to help, whiiiiiich, clearly isn't the best method.

(Sunset view from Cowl*ey's driveway)
I'm leaving here in 8 days. Kinda excited. (Hey, do some of you remember how I refused to date that guy who wrote the word 'kinda' on a postcard he sent me? Yeah. Look at me now. I would never date me.)
I'm just really looking forward to getting home and debriefing, driving in my car, eating chips. HECK! When do I not get 'kinda excited' about eating chips?

A big 'Oh, it's you again.' goes out to Crystal from Antipolo! I miss you and your family...thanks for checking in on my mum!
Love to you all (except to those I don't love but perhaps just like a lot, and those who are blog creepers.)

6 comments:

Annie said...

This was quite the entertaining post.

I miss your presence.

Anonymous said...

i had bloody diarrhea about a week ago! i have no idea why. i was really anxious for several weeks and had an upsetish stomach?... then ate a bunch of stuff and had regular diarrhea... then about 20 minutes later had some bloody diarrhea. iiiii'm going to keep this anonymous, even though everybody obviously knows who this is.

dr. jessica says there's nothing wrong, and who am i to argue with dr. jessica? it hasn't come back. i think it was just a fluke. a bizarre and scary fluke.

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii caaaaaaaaaaan't waaaaaaaaait for you to come hoooooooooome! lalalalala... (it's a song)... badoo-doo-dooo bah... badwee doo dweeeeee-bah! za-zigga zooey waaaaaaZA! bow, bow, bow... da-weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee... (why aren't you singing along?)

Beth B said...

I love you and love reading your updates, I go on here at least once a day.

Anonymous said...

Now, Now, anonymous. Let me clarify. I didn't say there was nothing wrong. I said I'm glad it only happened once, and if it was only once it was probably fine, but that if it happened again you should get checked out. Let's not misquote Dr. Jessica!

Hope you're better soon, Claire.

Anonymous said...

glad to hear your both 'enjoying' your time away ;)

it sounds as though Malawi generally brings out the best in people. and by the best in people I mean diarrhea. it would seem that the trend has blessed just about all of us. in point of fact, ted was recently awarded the nickname...explosive diarrhea. or Ed for short. fitting wouldn't you say. Ted. Ed. Ha.
I've pretty much been fighting this headcold since you guys left, and today it decided to move into my chest too. Feels like I've had an elephant sitting on my chest all day. Sweet.
Patrica is here this weekend (Ernests). If you guys are able to make it back before monday, you'll meet her. If not, we'll take pictures.
Keep in touch
Your former non-commenting friend
Mike

Beth B said...

I love the sunset photo, it is amazing!