Saturday, July 14, 2007

Facts and figures that make you sick:

Of course we all know that James is a perv and likes to read things that aren't meant for him to read, yet here we are; James is reading over my shoulder and I'm LOVING EVERY SECOND OF IT!
Stop reading James. Stop it.
Thank you.

Anywho---we all know that HIV/AIDS is a huge problem in Africa. We all KNOW this, but I don't think we all fully grasp it. It's an epidemic. Literally.

Even though the official percentage of people suffering from HIV/AIDS (in Malawi) is between 15-18%, Tim and Naomi say it's more between 30-40%. 30-40%!

And you know what makes it even worse! Promiscuity for young people just reaching puberty is ENCOURAGED by parents. Why? So that they can practice for their husbands/wives.

Isn't it disgusting how well Satan has put this little charade together?

Not to mention the impact of some of the laws of Islam--the predominant religion around here:
-no sex during the 9 months a woman is pregnant and no sex for 6 months after (what husband wouldn't find someone else to fulfill his needs during that time?)
-polygamy is accepted
-a wedding lasting a few hours to a few years is acceptable so that a couple can have sex within marriage, thereby not committing any kind of sin
-divorce is a reasonable move

Sex, and lust, and unfaithfulness, and promiscuity, and betrayal, and divorce are the epidemic and HIV/AIDS is the symptom.

Gah, and men make me sick. If I didn't know any better I'd seriously consider becoming a lesbian.

Just the other day, Naomi and I took a young mother of two, only two months pregnant to the hospital because of severe dehydration and malnourishment. Naomi explained to me that this poor woman's pregnancies were all like this. That her husband, who is married with another family in a village over, came home after being away for a long time, instantly got his wife pregnant and then took off again to let her suffer through these horrible pregnancies while trying to care and provide for her other two children alone.

Bastards! All of them!

Ah, good-ol' Tim just walked in and James is sitting across from me playing the guitar...that was a mean generalization. I'm sorry. You're not all bastards--but you can see why it upsets me so much.
Sure, women aren't perfect by a LONG shot, but you just don't see them abandoning each other the way men seem to.

Anyway--before I start a holy war, I'm going to stop here.
I just wanted to make you aware of what's happening out here---how incredibly serious and UNREAL it is, because like I said earlier, I KNEW all this before, but seeing it....well that's just another story.

We should all take a moment and thank the maker that we were born into a life of privilege and relative health and safety that we were.

2 comments:

Beth B said...

I try to remember that I am blessed with all the things I have, and not take it all for granted.

Annie said...

Wow, that IS unreal. I can't believe the crap that goes on. Why are women so often victimized in cultures like that? And, the AIDS/HIV epidemic... it really IS a well-constructed plan. It must be saddening to be there seeing it happen.