Tuesday, May 29, 2007

I love rain.

I don't think there's any other naturally occurring phenomenon that I enjoy more than when it rains. Any kind of rain--soft, misty rain to hard, loud rain.

That's how it's raining right now. It's typhoon season here at the moment. So we're anticipating for the electricity to black out at any moment. I pray this doesn't happen because it can take weeks to be reconnected. WEEKS! And that's common.
The cool thing is, it doesn't just rain; it thunders and lightnings for hours and hours, from about 4 or 5pm until midnight. I seriously cannot think of a lovelier way to fall asleep than to lay your head down on a new pillow with the melodic, rhythmic pulse of heavy rain falling on the trees and jungle undergrowth outside your open window. Gusts of rain-inspired wind breathing through the screen, eliminating the need for a fan, for once...
And for once there is silence--no obnoxious growls of tricycles, or disoriented roosters crowing, or yard-bound dogs whine/barking.
Just rain. Cleansing, nourishing rain. And gentle rolling thunder. But later, when it's over, but your skin can't tell the different from the moisture in the air, the bull frogs will start their reverie. One, one and two, two, three, four, five and more of them join in; a true mass choir of amphibians!

Nice way to fall asleep, eh? Yeah, you can be jealous over this point. But that's all I've got to be jealous about. For now.
But here's a link to a sweet and very similar sounding poem about rain by Wadsowrth-Fellow. Uh, i don't know how to put in Links yet, so just copy and paste this here: www.eliteskills.com
...The sick man from his chamber looks
At the twisted brooks;
He can feel the cool
Breath of each little pool;
His fevered brain
Grows calm again,
And he breathes a blessing on the rain...


Here's what Loopy has to say about all this rain:

3 comments:

kristel said...

Yeah, I am jealous..but usually when it rains here, I seem to forget to close my window and all my stuff gets wet...

Gillian Owensby said...

i only love it when i am sure it's not going to wreck my plans....like, if it rained at night all the time, i think that would be fabulous. in cali it rains ALL winter. that always put me in a deep depression, to put it mildly.BUT- this was about YOU loving rain, right?
ha.

Annie said...

I love rain too.... mostly the torrential-downpour-type rain though. We've been getting it kind of a lot lately. But yours sounds SO much better, so yes, I am jealous!