Monday, May 14, 2007

Kumasta!

Mabuhay--oh no, you're thinking, she's in another country for one day and she's acting like she speaks the language alllll the time.
Anyway!
Hey!
I made it to Manila this afternoon--after 48 hours of travel. I shit you not. 48 hours. So I'm a little tired/delirious.
But, there is no rest for the weary--I've already assisted a delivery. And, gag, witnessed my first episiotomy. It was horrible. We were trained how to do one in an emergency, but this wasn't an emergency. It was just gross. I may have stressed the mother out while it was happening too because I was squeezing her knee with my white-fist ed hand. (How sardonic, eh Bek?)
I have pictures--but I'm taking it one step at a time. The lady I'm covering for, Mavis, is in her 70s so getting online was a feat on its own. I'll leave tampering with her digital imaging programs 'til she's gone.
Yeah--but I just wanted to say hi and tell everyone I made it here ok. I don't know what the next few weeks hold for me---but...well there is no 'but'. I just don't know what this time here holds for me. Period.
If you want to contact me post a message here. If it's a long message then email me, but don't message me at facebook or myspace, please. That's just too time consuming and seeming far to frivolous right about now.
I'll post pictures asap!

6 comments:

Mum said...

Claire;
So glad THAT is over and you are safely at the clinic! What do you think of it? Lots of space, huh? How are the arrangements with Mavis going? Hope you get a chance to get rested up...sounds busy.
Love you,
Mum xxxxxxxxx

Anonymous said...

what's an episiotomy, and why is it gross??? i read that with a sardonic smile, of course (and a jaw muscle clenching).

HEY CLAIRE! it's so good to hear from you! i can't believe you assisted in a birth after all that travel. can you even walk straight?!

i feel like i can't write too much on here... i guess i really can't.

i miss you already! last night buddy jen was playing enya... a nice change, but SOOO freaking loud! it wasn't enya anymore, it was just... BASS. anyway, it was funny. i've cleaned the entire apartment... sorry you didn't get in on that. and i realized that all the rotting fruit was MINE, not yours. nice.

anyway, i love you! you sound like you're doing well! we're praying for you! keep writing. mavis doesn't mind, she told me.

i should stop, but... yay! you've arrived!!!

Anonymous said...

So not too much time for adjusting, eh? Hey, speaking of the 11's- if they are transition, then just imagine transition in labour....."I can't do this!" but you WILL and it's almost time to see the baby! (I hope you get this metaphor, or else that will sound super weird)You're awesome, we miss you already, we're thinking of you and praying for you!
rotsa rove,
G*

Anonymous said...

Claire,
Glad you made it alright and are right to work. No time to think about things like what am I doing here or gee I'm tired.

Anyway with the kind of business you're experiencing you'll be thru your mission faster than you may want it to go. Hope you're able to stop sometime to enjoy where you are. Say hello to Mavis. By the way can't find the letter of authorization in the file. Miss you.

Dad xxxxoooo

Annie said...

All I have to say is, nice use of the word "shit". HA.

ps - Oh, and I miss you. Frightfully.

Anonymous said...

manila gorilla.

k.