Thursday, May 31, 2007

Occupational hazards or... pleasures...

Two nights ago, the night of the still-birth, was a VERY busy night. In all we had 12 births that day. That's with only ONE birthing bed and four post-partum beds. It was insane and two midwives. We're all rockstars.
But anyway--I've mentioned before how difficult it is to get women to breastfeed! Especially here and in most countries of Africa, Nestle did some serious work on the mothers here about 30 years ago basically making them believe they either didn't have enough milk for breastfeeding or that it wasn't as good as formula. Since then formula use (costing more per can per week than most people's weekly income!) has become the norm and the response I get from new mothers regarding breastfeeding is ALWAYS "Walang gatas." I don't have any milk.
BA!
This makes me so angry and frustrated! Breastmilk, in a place like this, is the one good, life-saving thing that babies can get and mothers can give FOR FREE!
Oh my gosh.
And the midwives here, either by being overworked or just uneducated, won't make sure those breastfeeding myths are dispelled and mothers are breastfeeding their newborns.
So last night, in a fit of rage and fear and exhaustion and once our last delivery had delivered and everyone was settled into their beds and cots, I looked about the room to find one ONE of 6 mothers breastfeeding. Of those 5 one ONE of them had tried and NONE of them had even fed their newborns....ANYTHING! since birth (which for some was a few hours). This explained the non-stop infantile crying.
SHOCKED!
So, I rolled up my sleeves and set to work. Within half an hour it was dead silent save for the occasional sucking and cooing noises. Ahh...order restored.
I turned about the room with my hands placed triumphantly on my hips and I said 'I'm having a shower and going to bed.'
And I did.
I haven't drempt much since I've been here. I don't know if it's because of the restless sleeps I'm having on a hard bad and thin pillow, or because I'm exhausted at the end of the day. But anyway--I had the most lovely dreams about 'my' baby. That happens a lot among midwives---it's one of the perks.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Claire - I was reading one of your old blogs when this popped in. See I do check your blog often and LOVE all your stories. Good work teaching the moms to nurse..that alone will make such a difference to the lives of those little ones. I wonder if LaLeche has any stuff that would help educate the moms. Keep up the good work!

Claire said...

Yes but who is this?

Anonymous said...

Hey I like that 'Claire K.A. DeAth'
So (and this is sad in a way)I was reading that a concerted effort to show GREAT pics.(displayed in birthing clinics, for eg.) of white, western-type moms nursing healthy, peaceful babies would go a long way to convincing moms in 3rd. world that nursing is 'in'. Oh, and some creative depiction of FREE would be good too.. might catch the attention of dad. Who knows how many healthy babies might get a chance to grow up.

Claire said...

Seriously--people need to sign their names after their comments! I want to know who's talking to me!

Claire said...

Oh but anyway--really? Because I take pictures and I could do that...sad as it is...it works.