Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Centennial Post!

Happy 100th post to me!
To celebrate here are some pictures from the last few days since Mum has arrived:

Yes, they are pictures of me. But Mum TOOK them. I have lots of video of Mum, but no pictures yet. I will.
This is me with baby Cedric. He looks like a Cedric. I thought he was kind of an ugly baby when he was first born--but he's really grown on me. I'm rather attacehd to Cedric now. His mother, oh MERCY, had a hemorrhage in post-partum (after delivery) and her blood pressure dropped to 50/20. Pardon? Yes. 50/20. A normal bp is 120/80. That was shock. It was terrifying. But she recovered. And now we're onto the drama of her not breastfeeding and everytime I walk into the room she has a baby-bottle of WATER in his mouth. BAWAL TUBIG BABAE!!!!!!!! Water is forbidden for baby!

This was hilarious: I was posing Cedric with his cousin and sister (one guess who his sister is) and the one little girl just takes ol' Ric from me and starts rocking him and saying 'Tuh, tuh, tuh, tuh' the way a Filipina mother would soothe her baby. This little girl is no older than 3. Very cute.

Moments of note:
-When Mum thought the Filipina midwife was saying the breech-baby's position was 'bridge'.
"Bridge?" 'Yes, breedge.' "The position is bridge." 'Breedge.'
-Maricor only remembered she had met Mum in 2004 once Mum doned the frozen gel-pack head-band. "Ohhhhh, yeah. I meet your mum before."
-When Mum realized her power:
"I just pointed out that baby was jaundiced so I told them what to do, and look, they're doing what I said!"
So, she's adjusting well. She's finding her place here at Shalom, which is giving her purpose and a reason to like it here. I've tried, unsucessfully to get her to start her own blog. Perhaps one day.
The heat, of course, will always be an issue. It still is for me, but now I'm just used to being shiney, drippy, zitty, and occasionally smelling. It's a process.

This is a picture Mum took in the Hong Kong airport. Mountains (which I will always type at 'mountrains' until the day I DIE) are a phenomenon to us Torontonians. Hamiltonians however, we're soooooo used to mountains. We have our own "mountain".
It's pretty eh?

I've been trying to download some video onto youtube with much difficulty, so in true form I gave up, and you'll all just have to wait until I get home and can actually function on my Mac.

So--I leave for Malawi in four days. Sweet Jesus! I'm not saying that in vain. Jesus IS sweet and I really am calling out to him like that. There's a lot to do in the next few days, annnnnnnd a lot of obligations that I don't WANT to do. BA!
But I'm sad to leave--very sad. I think I might even cry. I actually love these girls, and these people. I never had an experience like this before.

But, on to more adventures!

4 comments:

Claire said...

Oh wow. It's time to cut those wings. Now it makes sense when Mum said 'Don't you look in the mirror?' No. Acutally, I don't think I do.

Annie said...

The story that accompanies the picture of the little girl holding the baby is cute, cute, CUTE.

I'm glad you ended up settling in and finding your place at the clinic ... at least it sounds like you did, what with the predicted crying that you talked about. Sad that you'll have a hard time leaving, but GOOD that you ended up having a positive experience!

Beth B said...

"But I'm sad to leave--very sad. I think I might even cry. I actually love these girls, and these people. I never had an experience like this before."(you write)

See what I mean about not wanting to come home and crying all the time when I even think about the Philippines? This is what I mean when I say I miss the Philippines.

Anonymous said...

i laughed soooooo hard at the part about your mom's gel head band. classic.

.......classic.

i never put it together until now that bp means blood pressure. it's in all the doctor shows... i always thought it was something i'd never understand, like "bicepticustical prominoeachi".

is this seriously your 100th post? holy crap! nastravia, my friend. or should i say touche...

it's hilarious without an accent. toosh. tooshAY.

alright, time to lay on top of my bed in a pool of my own sweat with a fan blowing on me and pretend i'm sleeping. i wish i had one of those headbands... for my entire body. an "entire body head band". tell your brother to get right on that. it's GOLD, jerry! gold! we'll make millions!

it's actually SO nice outside, but of course, none of that air can get in my window because of where it's situated. oh, the glories of 121 charles. ooo, weird story about the landlord, but i'll tell you later.

'night!