Friday, June 15, 2007

Workin' hard for no money, so you betta treat me right...

Last night was a craaazyyy.
I single handedly (with both hands) delivered two babies while Maricor was delivering one baby. And between the two of us cared for two post-partum hemorrhage patients, three healthy post-partum patients, four healthy babies, transfered care of one baby that had laboured breathing, and then three labouring women. Sometimes, I tell ya, sometimes this happens. And sometimes it's the full moon--and sometimes it's just random.
Anyway.
You know your tired when:
-you type your instead of you're....classic.
-You type bugger.com instead of blogger.com
-You COMPLETELY fill out the labour and delivery forms for the wrong women and not notice until you realize they have a little boy, not a little girl.
-You soothe your fan by rocking it and saying "sh-sh-sh-sh" when it starts creaking...then you roll back into bed smiling to yourself about telling that story on bugger.com
-You video-tape yourself sleeping because it's soothing to watch (and then are actually amused by it later)

So yeah. To sum up. I'm tired. But good tired. I feel awesome having delivered two babies alone--I never even did that when I was in Manila a couple years ago.
Thankfull the women were really healthy and happy about their babies.
Oh man--one couple was very cute. It was her first baby and (thank the maker!)she spoke excellent english. So inbetween contractions I asked her if she was excited about the baby, did they have names picked out etc. And, miraculously they were really excited about the baby.
Once he was born he was put right on her stomach and the father was right there--it was ideal. Anyway, the funny thing--when babies are born they don't come out freshly bathed with Baby Dove soap--this can make holding them and kissing them a little tricky right after birth. But the father REALLY wanted to kiss his baby.
He went in to kiss from one angle, pulled back, tried another angle, no...too goopy, tried a couple more angles then finally just kissed him wife on the forehead. Too cute. I wiped a spot for him to kiss on the baby's forehead and was very grateful.
Then after everyone was settled and ready for bed they didn't want me to turn the lights out because then they couldn't look at thier baby. It's so rare to find parents like that. I'm lucky I got to be there.

2 comments:

Annie said...

This post made me giggle - good job! On making me giggle. It's 6 AM.

Oh, and GOOD JOB on delivering 2 human beings yourself!!

Beth B said...

I miss being at births so much!!! I cannot wait to be a part of them again, I know I am addicted I admit it.