Friday, June 08, 2007

What the...

There's some funny business going on around here--Annie I can't seem to access your site! Nor Val's or my friend Nicole's. What is UP with that?
And, as far as I could tell no one had responded to my post yesterday! Weeeeeeird.
Anyone have an idea why this is?

Anyway---my Epiphany for the day is: God only ministers in air-con. How true. It's the only explanation for his undying love and grace. He's never sweaty.

Which leads me to my next thought: God is only capable of loving when the climate is suitable and all of his needs (and various wants) are met.
Well said...

Hm. In case you think I'm being SERIOUS, and I know there are some of you out there who thought I was serious until I told you I wasn't..., these are things I'm learning about myself and how I am a conditional lover. Not in the procreative way, but in the God way. (What is a conditional sexual lover anyway?)
I realized, yeah, sure I'm quite content and even agreeable to loving others who smell, are dirty, are pushing things through their bodies, are ignorant, are just not paying attention etc on days when I'm well fed, freshly showered, and in general feeling pretty good about my situation.
It's when those conditions are NOT met that I find myself 'incapable' of loving. It's disgusting. I know. But it was profound to realize.
I am a conditional lover.

And then, (because I'm in this enlightened state of spirituality and theology, of course) I think to myself...Jesus proooooooobably wasn't always comfortable.
In fact, I think I can say with a large amount of certainty that no, Jesus was not comfortable, needs met, wants not even close!, while he wandered the countryside and loved people. And not JUST 'loved' but set a standard of love for all time.
Uhhhhh. Humbling.

I can just see him now--trudging along the road with 12 morons trailing behind, realizing 'Oh, wow, I've been so busy I haven't eaten since breakfast yesterday!' Then rubbing his face with his sleeve to wipe off some of the dusty sweat that's making his face SO DAMN ITCHY it's driving him CRAZY.
Then, there in the distance, a tree, a perfect tree for resting and eating under, rises along the horizon. 'Thank you Father...I needed to catch my breath.'

But no sooner did he sit down, and no sooner did the sweat stop dripping down his temples and off the curls on the back of his neck; no sooner did his fingers twitch with the let-down of oncoming sleep and no sooner did his disciples stop arguing over who gets the right and who gets the left then a crowd of people showed up---needy and hopeless.
But unlike me, He welcomes them, heals them, feeds them, talks with them, even plays with their little kids! BA!
It's shocking, isn't it?
Anyway--that's the idea I've been playing with for a few days now. Conditional love. Rather, it's an idea I've been wrestling with.
It's hard to overcome. I think we can all heartily agree to that one, eh?

4 comments:

Annie said...

Oh dear. Blogger is acting up for you? I think that tends to happen from time to time. Hopefully it works itself out.... annoying that you couldn't access the internet and now you can't do what you want ON the internet. Gahhhhh.
Gahhh!

Beth B said...

I love knowing that you think so deeply. I also am learning to be able to love people even when they are not friendly or nice. I am getting more then I would like of this working in retail.

Anonymous said...

Hi Claire, Yes, a profound awareness...I hope you have resolved it before I get there! The difference between you (us) and Jesus is that He was FOCUSED. He came specifically to love unconditionally and show us how. We think we have so much to DO and adding unconditional love seems to be just TOO MUCH. Oh, if only we would stop DOING and put 1st. things 1st. and consider everything else 'interruptions'.
Love you,
Mum xxxxxxxxxxxxx
PS I loved your depiction of Jesus falling asleep!

Jessica said...

Yeah, I don't do a good job of being like Him most of the time, either, I'm afraid. It is humbling...especially when I like to think that I'm doing something good for the world, and then I realize how selfish I am!