Sunday, June 10, 2007

These feet were made for walkin...

And that's just what they'll do!

I was overwhelmed with something as I washed this little baby tonight.
I looked into his little swollen face and alert eyes and as I held him in my hands in the water I thought 'This is the closest I've come to touching God.' It was like holding something holy---something that was still warm from being held in His hands...

It was a startling revelation. Or from the other angle:
The power of God touching me through bathing a baby.
I was envious of him! The baby... In a good way... I was envious that he had seen God not too long ago. And I bet if he could form words he would be able to tell me about it.
It might sound a little mystical (fanatical?) but that's how my head and heart put everything together. And it was cool. I can still smell the baby soap on my hands...

Ha! Cool. Good use of words, Claire.

Days since it's rained: 4
Times this weekend Filipino-Mark has asked me out: 5
Showers today: 2
Litres of water lost through my skin: AT LEAST 12

4 comments:

Beth B said...

I love you and love the way your mind works.I always thought this when I was in Manila that is why birth seemed so amazing to be.

Annie said...

Wow... I love that. I haven't had too much contact with babies (they freakin' terrify me) but when I do, I can't wait to get that same revelation.

Rebekah said...

beautiful picture, claire! i totally know what you mean... i'm always wondering what babies (esp. newborns) are thinking, and wish i could ask them stuff!

did i ever tell you the (true) story about the couple who heard their 3 year old in their newborn's room through the baby monitor pleading (with the baby), "please! tell me what it was like! i'm starting to forget!"

isn't that CRAZY? that's something that brings me such comfort, in a sort of weird, "mystical" (wrong word, but you know what i meean) way... just remembering (without using my brain) what it was like BEFORE i was born. that i was IN HIM before the foundations of the earth were laid. that God not only knows ME that way, but I KNOW HIM that way! i just can't remember it very well... only on occaision when my spirit feels like it "knows" something deeper than my mind grasps when i'm in His presence.

i probably don't make sense. but iiii know what i mean! hahaha...

love you

Anonymous said...

Oh, now I'm afraid I'm going to cry every time I hold a newborn, and scare their mothers! Beautiful experience, hon. I know the Lord is blessing all those little ones through you. I read some neat Scripture tonight and thought of you -from 2nd.Sam.22:30 'For by You I run through a troop; by my God I leap over a wall.' And then for the babies 2nd. Sam.22:20 'He brought me forth into a large place; He delivered me because He delighted in me.' I know how David meant 'delivered' but it is a lovely picture!
Love you,
Mum xxxxxxxxxxx