Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Mavy meets Betsy & Claire dances with Freddy...

Here's Mavis, (the midwife from England that I'm covering for here in Antipolo) receiving her lifetime of serivce award from the Queen. This was televised (apparently) and after this she was interviewed on two local television channels.

The girls tell me that Mavy was really worried because she didn't have a hat to wear to the palace and as we know those Brits are hat-sensitive. But apparently she found one that matches perfectly.

Apparently she also borrowed jewels from the Queen's jewlery box. Whoa. What do you think? Costume jewellery?
Anyway--here's a dream I had last night--one of the FIRST since I arrived here:
I was at a party with people I didn't really know who were kinda uptight and boring. I was standing by the coat-rack when I saw this tweed jacket that reminded me of a coat Fred Astaire wore in Singing In the Rain...(no, Fred Astain WAS NOT in Singing in the Rain...but this is a dream...). So anyway, I'm all excited and I put the coat on and start tap-dancing around the room! And I don't know how to tap dance but I'm not that bad at it! And people are watching and enjoying the show while I'm spinning and tapping around in this person's coat.

Then I'm at another party later--some kind of fund-raiser--and that same coat is donated to the sale. I see it and put it on again and start tap dancing around. Because it's a fund-raiser people were seated around a stage-like space and so that's where I put on my little show. Everyone was very impressed.
Then to make it more challenging, and because for some reason this was 'traditional' to tapdancing, I put on a pair of shoes that were made of sea-urchins. One of the guys in the audience kept exclaiming 'You're going to hurt yourself!' then he'd slump back into his chair like he was fainting. Hilare.
So, anyway, I took a few seconds to sort out the spines of the urchin so that less of them would be digging into my flesh, then the music started again and I tap danced around like it was no big deal that I was dancing in shoes made of a sharp, poisonous, sea-creature.
It's boring--but it's my life.
****If movie doesn't play right away--press the play button in the middle of the screen again*******)

7 comments:

Rebekah said...

that is the BEST DREAM EVER!!! ohhh, i would LOVE to have dreamt that!

you know what it means, right? not that i TOTALLY do, but it seems like an obvious interpretation. what do you think?

and sea urchins, eh? innnnnteresting...

in my gr. 10 leaders class i got to do a huge project on freddy (and his contemporaries), and a lot of my research was just to rent all the old movies and watch the magic happen. it was awesome!

hey, don't the aisles in zellers make you want to tap dance? i can't help but fake tap dance in those aisles. it's the feeling of that type of floor beneath your shoes... or SOMETHING. i normally wouldn't say it "out loud" for fear of sounding weird, except that i've said it to two other people before, and they've totally agreed! crazy, eh?

Claire said...

No I completely agree with you about the aisle-dancing. And there's something about being in public that makes it sooooooooooo funny.
Hey--no I don't know what the dream means...give me your two-cents. But no more than that! TWO-CENTS ONLY!

Anonymous said...

Hey, weird! (not you!) Chris and i just watched The queen tonight. It was pretty good. Betsy sure is getting old!
That dream is very cool! and I'm with you, the interpretation doesn't immediately jump out to me either. Let me know what bek thinks it means.
hey, heading up to the Port this weekend - Father's day oh, and picking up the bunk bed!

Anonymous said...

just re read My post. don'T you Love my random usE of capiTals??? I know You do!! I'm so illiteraTe!

Anonymous said...

Apparently you have dreams that are almost as crazy as mine. This one is a peach.

Annie said...

I love tapdancing and I have also dreamt of doing it. Tres enjoyable!

ps- sweet to see Mave (yes, Mave) with the queen!)

Anonymous said...

woman, your sea urchin tap-dancing shoes just made me laugh out loud in a room full of people who are very on edge about our upcoming exams and who don't think that anything in the world is very funny right now :)dang you're entertaining.

love you,

Ames